Tuesday, May 6, 2014

People are amazing

Disclaimer: I do not in any way see myself as better than any other person, not do I have a closed mind, judge too harshly, or assume the worst in people. I realize this may come off as arrogant and, well, for lack of a better descriptor, bitchy, but it is only out of frustration! 

My career entails a vast amount of organizational and multitasking skills. For the past (almost) two years, I've been assigned workloads equivalent of two full-time employees (one that retired and was a classification above mine, but that rant won't happen today). It's demanding and draining to say the least, mostly because the certain individuals outside of my team that I'm required to work with are often "last minute" people. Not cool bro, not cool. 

Our division conducts hiring practices and processes almost quarterly, sometimes more often and they overlap. A job opportunity notice was just posted to the external, statewide website. This means for the next ten days, Meus and I get to field a plethora of mind-blowing phone inquiries about the position. 

"I currently work here, can I apply?" 
You can do whatever you'd like. 

"Who do I put as the contact person?" 
You're talkin' to her... Same person you just contacted from the notice. 

"Can I just email you my application?" 
You can, but that's not what the instructions say. 

"Why should I even apply again because YOU didn't hire me last time?"
I didn't make any decisions about who was hired. Maybe your interview sucked. 

These all sound like legitimate questions, however the job posting clearly covers every single item we get questions about. EVERY time. The instructions are clearly listed under the "How to Apply" section, and contact and job information is all labeled and provided. Basically, these peeps don't want to read. 

Meus and I share a workstation table in between our desks. Each process, there is an inbox labeled "APPLICATIONS HERE" with a giant, highlighted arrow pointing toward the inbox... 

It never fails... Multiple times a day, someone will walk up to me and ask where they turn in their application... If you found my desk in this maze of a building with 3000 people working in it, I would like to also think you can read a sign that's right in front of you and couldn't be more obvious with strobe lights attached to it. 

WHAT. THE. HELL?! Get it together people!! 

It sounds insensitive and negative and condescending, but when you have to work two full time jobs and are getting paid for one, patience runs short. 

Rant over! Funny chicken story to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment