Monday, July 21, 2014

College Kids

As I've previously mentioned, part of my job consists of scheduling interviews. This process so happens to be hiring for Student Interns. It's been a bit of a challenge getting interviews scheduled all on one day, so I managed to schedule two days plus a third the following week. 

Given I graduated with my Bachelor's three and a half years ago, and using email was a prime method of communication, I was under the impression that email would be the best method in reaching these young, hopefully-ambitious applicants. 

I was wrong. 


Apparently, email is old news, and unless I can schedule these interviews via text message, dialing up the old phone is the method that's proved most efficient. Phone calls it is. 

There were a few candidates that were incredibly pleasant to speak with and more than excited to be given the opportunity to interview. Upon telling them I was sending a follow-up email to confirm their appointment with location and instructions, these candidates rapidly and enthusiastically emailed back. Yay! 

On the other hand, there were a few candidates that were harder to get in touch with than the president. Candidate X, for example, was sent two emails to follow up with more information that I'd needed before scheduling them. After promptly responding to that email (I say promptly because it only took 18 hours), Candidate X did not respond when sent an interview appointment time. In my efforts to confirm this appointment, I picked up the received from my desk phone, and reluctantly started dialing out. 

"Hi, may I please speak with Candidate X?"

"Yeah. This is him. Who are YOU?" (feel free to add as much snarky and rude attitude as you'd like). 

"This is KC with Agency Name calling to follow up with you regarding your intern interview."

Tone changes: "Oh, yeah, what's up?" Seriously, BRO? What's up? Ugh. 

"I received your follow up email with the documents I requested. Thank you for that. I also sent you an email scheduling your interview."

"Ya. Kay."

"So, I'd like to follow up and confirm that you'll be able to make your interview on This Day at This Time..."

I didn't get halfway through that thought before I heard, " Yeah, yeah, yeah, alright already I get it."

"... Umm, alright..."

"Kay thanks." CLICK. 

Really, universe? You give me this punk to deal with? Some sort of "curses upon your house and brethren" type word vomit spilled out of my mouth after the brat hung up on me. 
**Follow Up** The little shit completely bombed the interview and scored very poorly. I guess that's what happens when you're so focused on yourself and are a rude asshole to others (NOTE: I was not on any panel, nor did I contribute to any scoring whatsoever... it just happened that way). 

Once I gathered my thoughts after dealing with the POS Candidate X was, I decided to move on and confirm an interview with Candidate Y. Please keep in mind that this all took place around 3pm. 

"Hi, may I please speak with Candidate Y?"
(whispering) "This is Candidate Y."
"This is KC from Agency Name. I'm calling to confirm your interview on This Date at This Time as stated in the interview I sent you yesterday."
(still whispering) "I'll be there."
At this point, I started speaking very quietly, because for some reason he was making me feel like I needed to be quiet. Dude, are you okay? Were you asleep? If so, is it because you work nights, or because you are a lazy ass college kid? Is someone in your house? Should I call the cops? Are you in a hostage situation?
(me slightly whispering because I couldn't help it) "Okay, thank you. We will see you then. Have a great day."
CLICK. 

Well, at least he wasn't a total jerk like Candidate X was, right?

Now we move on to Candidate Z. Ahhh, Candidate Z. This was probably one of the most interesting phone calls I've ever experienced in my life (next to when I interrupted someone's afternoon delight with an interview phone call a few years ago. True story.)

"Hi, may I please speak with Candidate Z?" (I was expecting a male to respond, so when a female blurted out the following, I was genuinely taken by surprise)

"Who the FUCK IS THIS?!"

"Umm... [I actually forgot my name for a second] This is KC with Agency Name calling to schedule Candidate Z with an intern interview, but I'm pretty sure I have the wrong number..."

"No this is his number. Who are you and what do you want to schedule him for? He didn't apply to any intern job? Who are you really? Are you another one of his hussies?" (rattling on, clearly very upset)

"No ma'am, I'm actually just trying to schedule him for an interview, but if he isn't available you can have him call me back at [gave my desk number]. Thanks!"

This time I hung up first. 

I always have a hard time believing these people exist. Then I take joy in these people making me seem normal in comparison. 

WIN. 

No comments:

Post a Comment