Saturday, July 5, 2014

Zero Gravity

I'm currently laying on the floor of the game room in my cousins' house in the middle of nowhere. Her baby shower / belated Fourth of July BBQ / mom & aunt's birthday celebration is commencing as we read. My cousin refused to have an actual baby shower with games and what not, so my mom convinced her to at least have a table with baby stuff.... Including a diaper cake, candy bar, and baby-themed cupcakes. 

I'm laying on the floor upstairs in an attempt to avoid awkward conversations with ancient family members about where my life is headed. "Are you seeing anyone stable yet?... Don't worry, you're a nice girl, it will happen." "When are you going to settle down?" "Don't you ever want to have kids and a family?" "A new puppy hardly counts as stability," "I heard your last boyfriend was in jail... Is that true?" "How's work? Are you still doing the same thing at the same place?" 

Directly above me is a skylight, and aside from the smoky air outside from a multitude of wildfires over the past 24 hours, the sky is clear and cloudless. It's always amazed me how looking at one spot makes everything else fade away. In this moment, all I can see is the blue sky. The window frame, the dusty edges of the window pane that are too high to dust regularly, and the entirety of the oversized bonus room around me fade away into the bright blue box. 

I've focused on the blue box too much. I need to take a step back. I need to go outside. 



No comments:

Post a Comment