Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Self check-out stations...

...are the main reason why I won't go to the store with my mother. I love her to pieces, but every single time they get the best of her. Every. Single. Time. 

Tonight, I stopped by my parents' house to see my brother and have dinner with them. My mom and I ran over to the grocery store to pick up a couple things so my dad could finish making dinner. I picked up one thing for myself (some magnesium powder... That's a story for another post...). One item. Just one.y mother had about eight. Still not a lot, but significantly more. 

We get to the checkout lines, and there are a few people in each line, but the self check is pretty open, so I take my one item over there while my mother said she's going to the express line. Good decision. 

About half a minute later, she's behind me waiting for me to finish my purchase. I asked what she was doing, and she told me there were too any people over there and this would be quicker. She also insists on trying to use this technology by herself every time we attempt this. 

Here is my side of this conversation...
"Mom, it didn't scan the last thing. No, that's why it's telling you there is something in the bagging area. Because it didn't scan it. No, take the bananas off the scanner. Mom. Move the bananas. The bananas. Here. Scan this. The barcode is on the other side. Okay, I'm going to put it in the bag so just wait. MOM it's asking because i haven't gotten a stupid bag open yet. No just wait a second. Okay. MOM why did you the button to not bag that? I was putting it in the bag! Okay let me move it. Well now you need to wait. Stop trying to scan it until it goes to the other screen! WHY did you come to this line? Yes, but that nice lady could have had this done for you by now. I know there's no barcode on bananas, that's why you need to press look up item. Bananas. You're going to look up bananas... Because there is no barcode. I know you scanned your club card you need to press the green button now. The green one. That one. Right there. No don't move the bags yet. Okay, don't forget your receipt. It's right there where it says receipt..."

Oh boy. How she gets through the day is beyond me. I love this woman and quite literally owe her my life, but dear lord lady... Get it together! 

I know, I know... Those things can be a real pain in the ass. But this is a woman who has used them a ton of times before. And every time is the same! There isn't much of a learning curve... Essentially, given that this technology allows a person to complete their own purchase, my mother continues to defeat herself when she can't figure it out. It baffles me. The woman is on level 4627 of candy crush, but can't read a screen and follow these directions (if you've played candy crush, you know how candy-soul-crushing it actually is and making it past level 200 is a feat in itself). 

Yeah. We don't shop together much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment